Wind through a window, is it possible?

Posted by:DonMax
Data created:4 May 2017

Hello,

this sounds very simple, but now that I have to create it I just can't. I'm using 3ds max.

I need a simple curtains waving on the wind with an open window. But I cannot block the wind with the wall. The wind needs to blow only through the window not the walls.

Please, if there is a solution let me know!

Also, I can see that other users also have problems with the cloth parametars. So, I understand that I can change all the parameters to get what I need, but I don't know if I need to change the elasticity or resolution to get what I want (this is just an example) the point is that it looks like we have some parametars and we need to randomly adjust it until we get the look we need. Please let me know if I am wrong. Also, it would be much easier if we could just load some presets with all the parameters in it. (like cloth modifier)

Thanks a lot!

Best,
Don

Hi Don,

I am pretty sure you can constrain a force in 3dsmax to only act within its emitter. So you can make the wind happen only within the window's region, where it is open. I don't know exactly how to do that but it sounds like it could be an option in 3dsmax wind force.

If you have a specific question about the cloth behavior I can try and answer that. All physics simulation parameters are linked. For example, if you change scale of particles you also change their behavior. So it is important to first make sure that global values work for you (Flex Settings Helper) and then fine tune the cloth parameters.

Marsel Khadiyev (Software Developer, EPHERE Inc.)

Hi Marsel,

thanks a lot for your quick replay. Now I understand the cloth behavior a little better.

I would also think that 3dsmax wind force should have some option to constrain the wind force, but as far as I know it doesn't. So, the only way to make it happen is to block the wind with the wall. I can do that if I use the cloth modifier and make the wall part of the cloth simulation as "collision object".

That's why I figured that the Lucid will also block the wind if I use the wall in the simulation. But, in the Lucid simulation, the wall doesn't block the wind.

I still don't know how to do it, it doesn't matter in what way this effects would be possible, but I would really like to know. (if it's possible)

Thanks again!

Best,

Don

Strange that 3dsmax doesn't have this. I'll need to look into it more. "Blocking" wind with an object is not possible because wind doesn't consist of particles, it is a vector field (spacewarp). Instead it needs to simply not have vectors beyond a certain spatial range. This is probably faily easy to do with a 3rd party plugin like Stoke (from Thinkbox).

Marsel Khadiyev (Software Developer, EPHERE Inc.)

Thanks, I look into that!

Thank You very much for your time!

Best wishes,

Don