Alembic Mesh Flickering

Posted by:hqhempen
Data created:5 October 2022

New thread as you'll be hearing a lot from me but just trying to keep things organized. Ornatrix is GREAT, really awesome and working for us. Just have a few minor issues to get us past 90% of way there for what's needed. 

So basically I've got alembic with certain parts of a bird that have hair, and on certain frames there is some stuff jumping around in little patches on certain areas of the mesh. Being totally new, I'm sure it's not optimized at all and looking for advice on that. And being totally transparent this is an alembic that was exported out of a rig in Maya brought over to C4D so could be issues there too I'm not aware of.

Did want to note that, per your thread here, I actually didn't have success putting a seleciton tag of the faces I want hair on into the Guides from Mesh > Input Mesh box. Hair would just float and remain in position from Frame 0. However putting the alemibc object itself into this field made it work as excepted so that's what I've been sticking too, and then putting the selection tag as you also recommended in Hair from Guides > Selection Tag, and that's operating just fine. 

So yeah, per the video below, what might I start looking into to make the guides, roots, whatever they are read the alembic mesh better during movement?

Also some funky stuff morphing around on top of the head I guess too

Continuing to do some testing, seems it may not be a purely alembic issue as when I disable modifier by modifier things seem to be fine at base level of hair attachment. Surface Comb is where things begin to behave poorly, seems like it's kind of changing direction from where I have sinks pointed and intersecting mesh for random frames. Maybe something with that modifier?

Good news, I think the Algorithim under the surface comb was messing it up, switching to Mesh Vertex seems to be working flawlessly so far. I'll go down my list and add clumps, etc and see if I'm getting same problems I was before on those too. Hopefully for visibility this helps someone else, will keep stuff in this thread for now as I progress. 

Correct. Surface Comb needs to be Baked before the final render to avoid this. 

Selection Tags seem to be working as expected. Are you enabling "Use Face Include"?

Jeordanis Figuereo (Product Designer. EPHERE Inc.)

Correct, Face Include is only way to get correct selection on that, just weird I have to directly reference main alembic or else selection just floats in space. After changing Triangulation to Mesh Vertex my renders seem to be working 100% on hair sticking to mesh alembic correctly...so I'm not baking anything at all it seems? Can you share the correct method to bake Surface Comb, feel that might be pertinent if it came to rendering across multiple machines.

To bake a modifier, select it an go to the Bake tab Attributes window, then click Bake Selected Modifiers. 

Jeordanis Figuereo (Product Designer. EPHERE Inc.)