Mesh from strands deletes other strand groups

Posted by:ruddiger52
Data created:20 May 2019

whenever I  specify a strand group in the MeshFromStrands operator, all other hair assigned to other strand groups disappear.  Is it possible to have some strand groups as mesh and others as normal hair?

Thanks!

Hello,

If I understand correctly, you want part of the hair to be converted to mesh and keep the rest as normal hair, right? 

We are working on a branching system to allow the users to do exactly what you ask in an intuitive way, but this is already possible if you know how to use the Node Editor. Ornatrix nodes are just regular Maya nodes. 

For now, you can use the following MEL command to create a new branch with MeshFromStrands on top, then specify the strand group you want to be affected. The resulting stack is composed of two Ornatrix shapes, one if a regular hair object and the second is a mesh object, but they are still connected with each other. 

Just select the operator from which you want to convert the hair to mesh and run this command in the script editor:

string $selectedNode[] = `ls -selection`;

OxAddStrandOperator2( $selectedNode[0], "MeshFromStrandsNode", 1 )

Jeordanis Figuereo (Product Designer. EPHERE Inc.)

Thanks for the quick reply.  So I select the operator where I want to create mesh from strands, then I run the script, but I get same result.  A mesh from strands node is created but all other hair disappears as soon as I assign the strand group number

Can you reproduce this in a new scene? It's working fine on my end. 

Jeordanis Figuereo (Product Designer. EPHERE Inc.)

Hi I got it to work I just needed to select the hair from guides operator.  Thanks!!